(Read about how I developed my rating system.)
Here’s how I’d put my own rating system. It’s a 5 star system, with an option for a sixth star for things that really blow the lid off of what I expect. I’ll give those extra special items a rating of “6 out of 5 stars”.
- 6 Stars: Defines an entire class of entertainment.
- 5 Stars: Breaks new ground in some fashion.
- 4 Stars: The people involved know what they’re doing and have done it. A success.
- 3 Stars: Flawed, but still enjoyable.
- 2 Stars: A misfire. Major flaws preclude enjoying the work as a whole.
- 1 Stars: Egregiously misguided, even evil. Fire someone.
Personal Enjoyment Rating:
- Loads of Fun
- It Was Okay
- I Shouldn’t Have Bothered
This is to mark books or movies that may have been objectively quite good but that I personally didn’t enjoy for some reason. Instead of giving them a low rating, I’ll just indicate whether my Personal Enjoyment was high or low.