- Trump won the Presidential election.
- We had a choice between Nixon and Smoot-Agnew for the Presidency. We elected Smoot-Agnew. This is not likely to end well.
- As President-elect, Trump is now the head of the Republican Party. The Republican Party is now anti-free trade and anti-immigration.
- I am no longer a Republican.
- Conservatives have spent the past year creating an imaginary version of Donald Trump. This imaginary person is a savvy businessman and a strong leader who will rely on the wisdom of others as he governs. They'll now have four years to learn the truth. I wish them joy of it.
- Searching for a silver lining: maybe Trump will accidentally nominate an engaged jurist for the Supreme Court.
- Who honestly thought that Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin would all go for Trump? I'm gob smacked. Wisconsin in particular is a surprise. I thought that people in this state were too fundamentally nice to stomach Trump's brand of meanness.
- The Senate stays in Republican hands. This was the outcome I was hoping for.
- I hoped the Senate would stay Republican, to block the worst of President Clinton's Supreme Court picks.
- Given that Senators are less populist, I'm hoping the Senate will block the worst of President Trump's policies.
- Maine is adopting ranked choice voting for federal and state elections. This will be an interesting experiment to watch.
- Marijuana was legalized in four more states and medical marijuana was legalized in four. Thirty-six states have now legalized marijuana in some form: 8 have legalized recreational marijuana and 28 have legalized medical marijuana.